Coop Sustainable Water Management Program
Coop, a Swiss retail company and pioneer in sustainability joined forces with GLOBALG.A.P. to develop an Add-on for sustainable water management at farm level.
This Add-on is based on the GLOBALG.A.P. IFA Crops Standard and incorporates a wide range of criteria to assess sustainable water management, such as:
- Legal conformity of water sources and extraction rates
- Best practices in water management (e.g. use of tensiometers)
- Protection of water sources
- Monitoring of water consumption (m3/ha/year)
- Impact of producers on sustainable watershed management
Fresh water is a scarce resource in various countries and regions worldwide. In addition, water scarcity will further increase due to climate change and a rising global population.
Today, about 70% of the world's freshwater resources is used in agriculture. Consequently, it is key to improve water management at farm level, in order to tackle water scarcity.
The Coop Sustainable Water Management Program is available for producers, traders and retailers alike to use and demonstrate their efforts for sustainable water management in agriculture.