Putting Feed Mills at the Forefront of Sustainability
The Responsible Operations Standard (ROS) Add-on for Compound Feed Manufacturing V1 aims to improve the sustainability practices of feed mills wishing to produce sustainable compound feed for aquaculture and livestock. This is achieved by:
- Reducing energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Reducing water use
- Strategies to avoid waste and effluents
- Responsible sourcing of agricultural and marine feed materials from sustainable production
- Product declarations on feed efficiency, environmental impacts, and genetically modified organisms (GMO) content
- Mass balances for specific claims on sustainability attributes of feed materials
- Promoting social engagement with the local community
The module was developed based on industry demands and with the strong commitment and support of the Norwegian aquaculture compound feed industry. It consists of seven sections with a total of 57 Control Points and Compliance Criteria.
The Responsible Operations Standard is available as a third party add-on assessment. Feed mills with a current GLOBALG.A.P. Compound Feed Manufacturing (CFM) Certificate or GLOBALG.A.P. equivalent certificate for compound feed may apply for the assessment.
The mill receives an annual inspection from a GLOBALG.A.P. registered certification body for this add-on, who will issue a Letter of Conformance after a successful inspection.